Packing for Ladakh? Predictably it can be tough because you feel like you need to pack too much stuff but Hold on! Do not overpack, its more important to keep your luggage easy and light because you need to do the rounds and travel around so much.
Bringing you the best of packing essentials- a list of everything that you cannot afford to miss.
1. Keep all your basic documents- id proofs, license, passport size photographs, debit/credit cards.
2. Backpacks with wheels are the best. Try to keep a backpack which has a detachable day bag- that would serve as a small bag for day trips/night outs at city stops and camp sites.
3. You surely have plans to camp out/trek..right? Carry a good map of the area and GPS may not always work in Ladakh. Fill up and carry refuel supplies in Jerry cans. Ensure petrol pipe, funnel and fully functional complete vehicle accessories kit. Carry enough cash as an emergency backup for ATM’s.
4. Would recommend a 4 season sleeping bag and a compressible travel pillow which would roll up really small across bunjee strap packing ropes.
5. A headlamp is one of the safest bet particularly for adventure treks/rides/camp outs/night trips. Ensure that you have a torchlight with extra set of cells and bulbs.
6. Keep refillable water bottles and avoid wasting plastic bottles every now and then-Do keep garbage bags/ bin liners with you. Carry enough water, energy foods and drinks.
7. Pack all your gadgets as a good backup- phone, camera, power bank, mp3 player,high on memory- ‘memory cards’, a cigarette plug portable charger with multiple USB points and a removable battery.
8. Carry a good first aid medical kit. Do keep a Bug Spray and Pepper Spray as well (ladies you got it right!).
9. Add a Toiletry bag and Packing cubes to keep your stuff dry, organized and in right place.
10. Pack clothes as little as possible but do pack essentials, basics(multi purpose clothing), some woollens and thermal-wear. At night the temperatures drop sharp.
a) Micro Fiber Travel Towel- Light and Quick to dry
b) Waterproof coat that folds up small and dries quickly
c) Sunnies/Sunglasses for summer sun safety
d) A Shade Cap/ sunscreens and deep hydrating creams to stay safe in harsh weather.
e) Trainers or Running Shoes
f) A set of flipflops
g) Scarf long enough to be folded and used as a pillow/blanket/sun protector on the run
If you would like to add anything else let us know in the comments below.